Methodism in Dodge City dates from June 14, 1874 when a Methodist lay preacher named S.A. Newell organized a class of 13 people. Later, a Union Church building was built at First and Spruce streets in Dodge City, where several denominations held services.Gathered around town until 2006 when we purchased our first building
In November of 1883, work began on the first Methodist Church building at 707 First Street. This building was outgrown shortly after the turn of the century, and additions were built to accommodate up to 200 persons in worship.
In 1913, a brick building was constructed with space for up to 400 to worship. Attendance continued to grow, and by 1928 over five hundred persons were attending Sunday School each week. An educational building with an attached parsonage was built in 1929.
In 1954, a new parsonage was constructed, allowing for more of the educational building to be used. But by 1962, it was apparent a new church would be necessary.
Built in 1964, and used for worship beginning with the first Sunday of 1965, our present building has served the congregation for 50 years. It includes over 65,000 square feet of space, and can seat more than 700 persons when filled to capacity.
In 2003 and 2004, the entire facility was renovated, including a makeover of the worship space in the Sanctuary and a new elevator.
In 2007, a service was added in Spanish to accommodate Dodge City’s growing Hispanic community, and in 2010, a full-time associate pastor was brought onto staff to shepherd the growing Spanish-speaking portion of our congregation.