With the recent flooding that has taken place in Louisiana, we are collecting flood buckets in cooperation with the United Methodist Committee on Relief. Flood buckets are a great help in the days and weeks following devastating floods.
Please consider putting together a flood bucket and bringing it to the church by September 11. That morning, we will say a blessing over the buckets from our congregation, as well as others from across Southwest Kansas before they are sent to help those in need.
For a printable list of items needed for the flood buckets, click United Methodist Committee on Relief Flood Buckets.
United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR)
Flood Clean-up Cleaning Bucket Materials Louisiana Flood
United Methodists from around the globe are responding to the devastation of the floods that have hit Louisiana. You can help by looking at the list below and determining how you can respond. The approximate cost of each flood bucket is $65.00.
- One 5-gallon bucket with reseal-able lid, buckets from fast-food restaurants or bakeries can be used if washed and cleaned.
(no buckets that have stored chemicals such as paint or pool cleaners) (advertisements on the outside are acceptable)
- One 50-oz. or two 25-oz. bottles liquid laundry detergent.
- One 12‐16 oz. container of liquid household cleaner that can be mixed with water. (no spray cleaners)
- One bottle of 16‐28 oz. dish soap bottle, any brand.
- One can air freshener, aerosol or pump.
- One 6‐14 oz. aerosol or spray pump with protective cover of insect repellant spray.
- One scrub brush, plastic or wooden handle.
- 18 Handi Wipes or reusable wipes cleaning wipes, no terry cleaning towels. (remove from packaging)
- One package of sponges, no cellulose sponges due to mold issues. (remove from wrapper)
- Five scouring pads. (remove from wrapper) (no stainless steel, Brillo pads, or SOS pads, nothing with soap built in)
- 50 clothespins.
- One 100-ft. or two 50-ft Clothesline, cotton or plastic.
- 24-roll of 33 to 45-gallon size heavy-duty trash bags, remove from the box.
- Five dust masks.
- Two pairs kitchen dishwashing gloves should be durable enough for multiple uses.
- One pair work gloves, cotton with leather palm or all leather. (remove from packaging)
This list is very specific because UMCOR has learned through the years to be specific due to the variety of conditions that exist in people’s lives and the needs in various areas of the world.
We will be gathering the items on the list and taking them to the Great Plains Conference collection site on Monday, September 12, 2016. Please place your items on the tables at Sanctuary entrances.
Be a people of Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors.